SEFCU defines charitable contributions as the donation of money to an organization recognized by the United States Internal Revenue Service as a 501(C)(3) that provides direct services to the community. SEFCU’s area of focus for charitable giving is concentrated in the following areas:
- Education – At SEFCU, education and literacy improvement programs are a primary focus. Supporting youth education initiatives and curriculum geared to improving the lives of individuals within SEFCU’s footprint via financial literacy and other education-based programs are an important element of community giving.
- Human Services – SEFCU assists with community development initiatives that provide essential needs such as food, clothing, and shelter for the less fortunate, victims of natural disasters, and special health and safety needs.
- Civic – SEFCU will consider community development initiatives and projects that enhance the quality of life within the credit union’s footprint. This includes special events, programs for youth and senior citizen organizations, and other non-profit entities that serve the membership of the credit union.
- Miscellaneous- Grassroots programs that exist in underserved communities.
On occasion, SEFCU is asked for support of an event or effort, on a local level, that may not fit the general criteria of the program. These requests will be evaluated based on the merits of the request and the benefit or service it provides the community.
SEFCU will not make charitable donations for the following:
- Political organizations or causes
- Individual school programs, athletic teams, clubs, membership organizations
- Churches or religious organizations unless they furnish services that benefit the general public